Employment / Director of Human Resources
Manage all company benefits and demonstrate a proactive role in insurance renewals and open enrollment; work in collaboration with legal counsel to ensure company compliance with all state and federal employment regulations. Manage all employee relations; work with the LEAD team to update company policies and properly communicate changes to staff. Oversee the HR Assistant & Volunteer Coordinator position; provide guidance and direction for executing strategies related to recruiting and retaining high-quality, competent staff and successful onboarding of new staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
include the following: other duties may be assigned:
- Serve as a conduit of Christ’s love for others in an effort to point others to Jesus through our actions and words.
- Manage and oversee all Human Resource functions within the Human Resources department.
- Benefits and Compensation – Management and oversight of all company benefits, insurance policies, and employee enrollment procedures. Work closely with insurance brokers to monitor changes, insurance reconciliations, plan amendments, and collaborate during insurance renewal season. Ensure that compensation is competitive in the marketplace, consistent with Shepherds compensation practices, and in alignment with the organizational hierarchy and structure.
- Policies & Procedures – Update and maintain employee handbook policies and procedures that comply with state and federal laws and are consistent with Shepherds practices. Work with members of the LEAD team on the development of new policies.
- Employment Law Compliance – Work in collaboration with legal counsel to ensure company compliance with all state and federal employment regulations and human resource practices.
- Employee Relations – Provide opportunities for employees to ask questions, address concerns and resolve issues that may arise. Initiate communication to employees about any policy changes, upcoming events, etc.
- Performance Management: Manage performance appraisal process for supervisors and self-appraisal process for staff. Be available to help resolve employee issues with supervisors, including assistance with Performance Improvement Plans (PIP’s) and the progressive disciplinary process.
- Worker’s Compensation & Safety – Prepare and file reports of accidents and injuries of employees while on duty. File and manage Worker’s Compensation claims. Participate in quarterly safety committee meetings to ensure proactive measures are taken to maintain a safe work environment for staff and students.
- Staff Recruitment – Oversee execution strategies of HR Assistant & Volunteer Coordinator and assist with recruitment of new staff for Shepherds College as needed.
- New Employee Orientation/Onboarding – Oversee efforts of HR Assistant & Volunteer Coordinator and assist with preparation of all necessary materials and documents for new hire orientation sessions, and orienting new employees to the organization.
- Training and Professional Development – Work in collaboration with other members of leadership to manage training schedules for both new and seasoned employees; Continue to ensure training topics are relevant to Shepherds and the student population we serve, and research alternative training resources.
- Employee Engagement & Retention: Direct and coordinate various activities designed to promote and maintain a high level of employee engagement and morale.
- HRIS / Record Maintenance - Maintain current HRIS systems, files, and databases (time and attendance system, payroll system, personnel files, medical records, training documents, new hire paperwork, and all other confidential information). Maintain necessary personnel documentation for employee files to include contracts, wage information, performance reviews, disciplinary actions, insurance enrollments, etc.
- Supporting Documentation for Payroll – Be familiar with the HS&A system and provide supporting documentation to payroll for employee changes (withholding, direct deposit, deductions, compensation, etc.).
- HR Budget – Oversee and manage the budget of the Human Resources department.
- Take the necessary actions to create an atmosphere conducive to the best possible employee-employer relationship.
- Employee Separations: Prepare employee separation notices and related documentation and conduct exit interviews to determine reason behind the separation.
- Miscellaneous: Responsible for managing unemployment claims, tracking of FMLA, EIB Leave Sharing program, Military leave, and any other leaves of absence.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- Must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Human Resources and/or Business Administration.
- At least 5 years of high-level Human Resource experience.
- Knowledge and application of employment law are preferred.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and organization skills
- Must be an adept problem solver who has the ability to identify issues and come up with resolutions in an efficient and timely manner.
- Prior experience successfully managing confidential information in a professional, appropriate manner.
- Proficiency in HRIS systems & Microsoft programs.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP would be a plus, but not required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee must complete a TB skin test and a physical exam which certifies freedom from communicable disease within 90 days prior to beginning employment. Medical documentation of TB skin test results and physical exam must be submitted to the Human Resources Department prior to beginning employment.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR MISSION:
Employee shall commit to the mission of Shepherds College, which is to educate and train students with intellectual and developmental disabilities by equipping them to reach Appropriate IndependenceTM (Ai) through the development of vocational, social, and life skills while inspiring a lasting awareness of God’s plan for their lives. Employee shall have a deep understanding of Ai and its guiding principles, as Ai is the foundation of our education and training programs here at Shepherds College.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR CULTURE:
Employee must be in alignment and in agreement with the eight key behaviors that shape our culture here at Shepherds College: 1) Model Christ-likeness - Point others to Jesus through our actions and words; 2) Be Creative - Practice strategic innovation; 3) Pursue Excellence – Whatever it is, make it better; 4) Maximize Strengths - Cultivate the value and potential of every individual; 5) Promote Professionalism – Present the best you, always; 6) Work Together – Collaborate to fulfill our mission; 7) Embrace Accountability – Own the process and the outcome; 8) Experience Gratitude – Recognize and affirm the good.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR FAITH:
Employee must be in full alignment and agreement with the Shepherds College Statement of Faith and Biblical Responsibilities of Shepherds Staff. Employee must be part of a faith community that is aligned with traditional protestant Christian faith.
Must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Must be able to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and sit. The employee is occasionally required to walk, and reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Become a vital part of the Shepherds College mission!