Employment / Assistant Controller
The Assistant Controller is responsible for assisting the VP of Finance with directing Shepherds business office and accounting functions including general ledger functions, budgets, and audits and federal and state returns. Schedule: 1st shift hours Monday – Friday.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(include the following; other duties may be assigned)
1. General Ledger Functions:
- Coordinate month-end close for all Blackbaud modules including development, AR and AP including review for accuracy
- Analyze and complete all necessary journal entries
- Complete account reconciliations for balance sheet accounts including AR and AP
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations
- Analyze budget variances
- Prepare month-end consolidated financials including income statement and balance sheet including analysis
- Prepare and distribute departmental operating statements for review with department heads
- Prepare and complete year-end closing entries
- Gather historical data and projections for use in preparation of annual operating budget
- Coordinate requests for use in preparation of capital budget and tracking of capital expenditures
- Track Project revenue and expenditures
3. Audit and Federal and State Returns:
- Coordinate the annual fiscal audit preparation including gathering various work papers and analysis and responding to auditor inquiries
- Supervise and review the annual 1099 filing
- Prepare and file quarterly sales tax return
- Gather information needed to prepare the work papers for preparation of annual 990 IRS informational returns by third-party auditors
- Gather information needed to complete and file annual returns for the Pooled Income Fund
- Review Daily Banking activity and make recommendations on cash flow
- Contribute to the establishment and maintenance of best practices and internal control
- Participate in supporting the development of written policy and procedure
- Provide financial information support for various annual reporting required to third parties
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- At least 3 to 5 years of accounting or relevant experience
- CPA certification preferred, or eligibility to take the exam
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is required
- Experience in the non-profit sector is preferred, but not required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee must complete a TB skin test and a physical exam which certifies freedom from communicable disease within 90 days prior to beginning employment. Medical documentation of TB skin test results and physical exam must be submitted to the Human Resources Department prior to beginning employment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; Must have at least 3 to 5 years of accounting or relevant experience; Preference is given to candidates who are CPA certified and who have experience in the non-profit sector.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
REASONING & ANALYTICAL ABILITY:
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to analyze and solve problems and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to apply analytical tools and ratios that provide a clearer understanding of financial concepts and practical accounting situations.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR MISSION:
Employee shall commit to the mission of Shepherds College, which is to educate and train students with intellectual and developmental disabilities by equipping them to reach Appropriate IndependenceTM (Ai) through the development of vocational, social, and life skills while inspiring a lasting awareness of God’s plan for their lives. Employee shall have a deep understanding of Ai and its guiding principles, as Ai is the foundation of our education and training programs here at Shepherds College.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR CULTURE:
Employee must be in alignment and in agreement with the eight key behaviors that shape our culture here at Shepherds College: 1) Model Christ-likeness - Point others to Jesus through our actions and words; 2) Be Creative - Practice strategic innovation; 3) Pursue Excellence – Whatever it is, make it better; 4) Maximize Strengths - Cultivate the value and potential of every individual; 5) Promote Professionalism – Present the best you, always; 6) Work Together – Collaborate to fulfill our mission; 7) Embrace Accountability – Own the process and the outcome; 8) Experience Gratitude – Recognize and affirm the good.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR FAITH:
Employee must be in full alignment and agreement with the Shepherds College Statement of Faith, Biblical Responsibilities of Shepherds Staff, and the Shepherds College Community Covenant. Employee must be part of a faith community that is aligned with traditional protestant Christian faith.
Must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Must be able to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and sit. The employee is occasionally required to walk, and reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
A working understanding of business system software [Blackbaud General Ledger or other similar software]. Ability to effectively utilize computer software for word processing, spreadsheets, and accounting applications.
Become a vital part of the Shepherds College mission!