Employment / Advisor
The Advisor for Shepherds College (SC) will promote student growth towards Appropriate Independence™, facilitate academic progress, advocate for student needs, develop goals and supports in order to promote student achievement, and instruct as assigned. Hours: Full-time; 1st shift weekdays; 45 Hours; On-call responsibilities for medical and behavioral emergencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
(include the following: other duties may be assigned):
- Provide academic advisement, personal and professional guidance, and career counseling for an assigned group of students through regular individual meetings and personal connections
- Act as the primary liaison and point of first contact between parents of advisees and Shepherds College
- Interact with instructors regarding the academic goals of individual students
- Collaborate with parents in an effort to promote student success
- Understand the medical needs of students; work with nursing to ensure those needs are met
- Communicate with community professionals regarding medical and psychological health needs
- Maintain a file for each student
- Update student profiles for advisees
- Manage behavioral issues among students and help implement behavior plans as needed, communicating regularly with academic and student life staff regarding behavioral concerns
- Complete required documentation, assessments, and communication
- Assist students with finances, personal care, and health management
- Fulfill classroom/instructional responsibilities, as assigned
- Evaluate and assess prospective students
- Contribute to continuous improvement
- Attend faculty/staff meetings as assigned
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree is required; degree in Social Work, Psychology, or Special Education is a plus
- Must have experience working with individuals with intellectual disabilities
- Must have a commitment to student learning and development
- Must be an effective communicator, including verbal and written communication
- Must possess strong organizational skills
- Must possess a high level of professionalism, including the ability to maintain confidentiality
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee must complete a TB skin test and a physical exam which certifies freedom from communicable disease within 90 days prior to beginning employment. Medical documentation of TB skin test results and physical exam must be submitted to the Human Resources Department prior to beginning employment.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR MISSION:
Employee shall commit to the mission of Shepherds College, which is to educate and train students with intellectual and developmental disabilities by equipping them to reach Appropriate IndependenceTM (Ai) through the development of vocational, social and life skills while inspiring a lasting awareness of God’s plan for their lives. Employee shall have a deep understanding of Ai and its guiding principles, as Ai is the foundation of our education and training programs here at Shepherds College.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR CULTURE:
Employee must be in alignment and in agreement with the eight key behaviors that shape our culture here at Shepherds College: 1) Model Christ-likeness - Point others to Jesus through our actions and words; 2) Be Creative - Practice strategic innovation; 3) Pursue Excellence – Whatever it is, make it better; 4) Maximize Strengths - Cultivate the value and potential of every individual; 5) Promote Professionalism – Present the best you, always; 6) Work Together – Collaborate to fulfill our mission; 7) Embrace Accountability – Own the process and the outcome; 8) Experience Gratitude – Recognize and affirm the good.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR FAITH:
Employee must be in full alignment and agreement with the Shepherds College Statement of Faith, Biblical Responsibilities of Shepherds Staff, and the Shepherds College Community Covenant. Employee must be part of a faith community that is aligned with traditional protestant Christian faith.
Must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form. Must be able to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and sit. The employee is occasionally required to walk, and reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Become a vital part of the Shepherds College mission!