Admissions / Admissions Criteria
Shepherds College serves individuals with intellectual disabilities such as significant learning, cognitive, and developmental conditions, whose disability impacts their ability to access course content without a system of educational supports and services.
Occupational Program Admissions Criteria
Candidates for admission will need to meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least 18 years of age by August 31 of the year they start Shepherds College.*
- Students not 18 at the start of the school year will need housing adjustments at the start of the school year.
- Have completed four years of high school education, preferably culminating with a high school diploma or certificate of completion (Note: Only students with a high school diploma or GED are eligible to receive Federal Student Aid.)
- Have a diagnosed intellectual/developmental disability, or significant learning challenges
- Have successfully completed an overnight and classroom visit
- Function with little to no attendant care
- Demonstrate academic skills suitable for Shepherds College as determined by admissions’ assessments
- Have motivation and an eagerness to learn
- Have the ability to receive information and instruction from staff and provide responses and feedback when necessary
- Possess the ability to safely function without direct supervision in his/her residential setting
- Have acceptable social behavior verified by school, family, or other source
- Be free from communicable diseases
- Have the ability to maintain appropriate professional behavior and perform with minimal supervision at an internship in a competitive business setting
- Have the ability to make the commitment required of an educational/transitional program
- Have a desire to live independently and have a family that supports that goal
- Have minimal medical needs – cannot require more than 3 hours per week of nursing care
- Agree to abide by the Community Covenant established by Shepherds College
- Provide copies of psychological, medical, and behavioral history
- Have no current desire of harming self or others
- Demonstrate a history of good citizenship and ability to follow rules
- Must notify Shepherds College of any and all arrests and/or convictions; Shepherds College will determine eligibility based on severity of the criminal activity
- Complete and provide reference forms.
We would like your child to attend Shepherds College in order to learn and gain Appropriate Independence. If you aren't sure if your child will qualify, please call the Admissions staff. You can reach them at 262.878.6359. We can learn more about your son or daughter as well as answer any additional questions you may have.
*Students not 18 at the start of the school year will need housing adjustments at the start of the school year.